Microsoft, McDonalds and the Advertising Standards Authority
A wander around the depths of the Advertising Standards Authority, the UK self-regulatory advertising body. A few things that are interesting and/or amusing:
- Statistics on complaints and other information.
- All e-mail and internet adjudications since 1993.
- After those two, you may want to know that the page where you can make a complaint should be here, only there's a terrible Microsoft database error instead. Maybe it will come back.
- Here is a list of all adjudications since 1993 concerning magazine advertisements, where the advertiser name began with "M" (you'll see where I'm running with this next).
- You are not allowed to view the McDonalds adjudication...
- ...but here's an adjudication concerning Microsoft's advert claiming 5 9s reliability. The complainant believed achieving 99.999% uptime using the advertised product (Windows 2000) was not possible.
4 comments and trackbacks
The links for making a complaint and listing all the "m" adjudications just point me back to the ASA homepage. Is that supposed to happen?!
Posted by: Ben on May 13, 2003 08:04 AM
Posted by: Dan Hon on May 13, 2003 10:58 AM
A FRIEND AND I WENT TO MCDONALDS ON HWY 190 IN HAMMOND LOUISIANA AND WE HAD TO GATHER UP OUR FOOD AND LEAVE AS THE STAFF WAS REALLY LOUD AND USING VERY FOUL LANGUAGE TO THE POINT THAT EVERYONE IN THE DINING ROOM COULD HEAR AND ALL WERE OFFENED BY THE CONDUCT THEY ALL PROTRAITED. THIS TOOK PLACE ON NOVEMBER 23, 2003 AT ABOUT 7:00P.M.
WE WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT IF YOU OR SOMEONE IN YOUR DEPARTMENT COULD HANDLE THIS MATTER. MY MAY CALL ME AT HOME EARLY IN THE MORNING AT [deleted]. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Posted by: lora silvers on November 24, 2003 03:06 AM