« Reviewed: The Hulk | Main | Friday Morning »

Thursday, 03 July 2003

You're kidding me

What is it with me and laptops? Now my DVD/CDRW combo drive isn't accepting media. It was making a noise when it was burning a CD, see, then finished and ejected it. According to this knowledgebase article, if it starts doing that, you're supposed to call and arrange for servicing. Why was I burning a CD? Because this machine's being picked up tomorrow for a missing screw, and it's nice to have things backed up.

Bets on this being sorted out on the same trouble ticket as the screw, or me having to send the damn thing back. Again.

(Dear Apple. I would like a new computer, please. One that doesn't have an Airport enclosure that breaks, screws that fall out and DVD/CDRW combo drives that spontaneously fail.)

Update: Thanks to a kindly comment (see below), I've temporarily fixed this, but the drive still manages to sound as if it's attempting to do an imitation of a small helicopter taking off whenever it burns.

4 comments and trackbacks

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago -- I was able to fix it by resetting the Power Manager on the PowerBook http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Since yours is going in for service anyway, I guess this is a moot point for you.

Posted by: Billy Ray on July 3, 2003 10:18 PM

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it! (For the time being, at least.) I'll probably be calling Apple tomorrow morning before the pickup to ask them to take a look at it, though.

Posted by: Dan Hon on July 3, 2003 10:54 PM

I have had this problem (SuperDrive on PowerBook instantly ejecting any inserted media) over and over again. It comes and goes. When it shows up, restarting _always_ cures it for me. So, I don't think it's hardware. But it's a royal pain just the same.

Posted by: stevenf on July 4, 2003 12:45 AM

Ah, I should've been more clear - this wasn't just having the drive reject media (had that happen a few times, but only because I was low on HD space, I think), but the drive wasn't physically letting me insert it in the slot.

I'd push the disc about halfway in and it'd hit something in the way, then not be caught and pulled in. Normally I'd have to insert a disc 3/4 of the way inside a combo drive before it gets caught and pulled in.

Posted by: Dan Hon on July 4, 2003 04:55 AM

BASEBALL BETTING

Posted by: BASEBALL BETTING on July 3, 2005 03:43 PM

BASKETBALL BETTING

Posted by: BASKETBALL BETTING on July 4, 2005 12:58 AM

BASKETBALL BETTING

Posted by: BASKETBALL BETTING on July 4, 2005 12:40 PM

online horse racing

Posted by: online horse racing on July 8, 2005 10:01 PM

Name (required):

Email address (required):

Homepage:

Remember personal details?

Choosing yes will save a cookie on your computer that will remember your personal details.

Comment: