Bookmarks for April 20th from 11:18 to 13:30
This is an auto-posted collection of public links I’ve either posted to, or favourites from Twitter, my Instapaper bookmarks and my public links posted to Pinboard.in for April 20th from 11:18 to 13:30:
- DayofDH 2017 – Day of Digital Humanities 2017 –
- It was a bright cold day in April… – LOD, 3D, and Jazz –
- Juice Machines and Red Flags – Bloomberg View – "Even after the regulator confronted a Wells Fargo executive in 2010 about 700 cases of whistle-blower complaints, the regulator did not require the bank to provide adequate analysis." But even "adequate analysis" is not quite what you want! You want the bank to stop doing the bad stuff. The OCC's report notes that it had "focused too heavily on bank processes versus what those processes were actually reporting," which is a lovely description of the difficulty with corporate supervision. You can't catch every problem, so you focus on the meta-goal of setting up good processes to catch problems. But then when you actually do catch a problem, you don't know what to do with it. You spend so much time making sure that there are processes to stop bad things that you forget to actually stop the bad things.
- There are only 3 forms of bit storage, historically. 1) Poking holes in things … | Hacker News – 1) Poking holes in things ( tape, DVD, etc ) 2) Magnets ( core memory, drum memory, tape, disks ) 3) Circuits ( DRAM, NAND, etc )
- [toread] news.ycombinator.com –
- [toread] cloudplatform.googleblog.com –