Bookmarks for January 17th through January 18th
This is an auto-posted collection of public links I’ve either posted to, or favourites from Twitter, my Instapaper bookmarks and my public links posted to Pinboard.in for January 17th from 21:51 to 22:53:
- Success at Work, Failure at Home | Scott Weiss –
- How is Google involved in James Frey’s YA book and movie deal? –
- Is Almost Human set in the retro future? –
- Can we build an artificial superintelligence that won’t kill us? –
- How to power a starship with an artificial black hole –
- Why does Google keep making products for nobody? | The Tech Block – Making things (devices, movies) for “everyone” is waaaay harder than any “smart” person would ever be able to admit:
- #satire (Phil Gyford’s website) – Oh, this is brilliant. I'm genuinely excited about having fun with Medium now. I hope they allow it, unlike those humorless bastards at Quora.
- One diabetic’s take on Google’s Smart Contact Lenses — Tech News and Analysis – "And yet, I cannot get over what seems to me a tone-deaf approach by Google’s scientists. It also highlights Google’s fundamental challenge: it fails to think about people as people, instead it treats them as an academic or an engineering problem. Instead of trying to understand the needs of actual people, they emerge with an elegant technological solution."
- There’s never been a better time to work in advertising | Media Network | Guardian Professional – …