Bookmarks for August 17th through August 18th
This is an auto-posted collection of public links I’ve either posted to, or favourites from Twitter, my Instapaper bookmarks and my public links posted to Pinboard.in for August 17th from 20:59 to 23:50:
- Tiptree, James Jr – The Girl Who Was Plugged In.htm –
- Welcome to Paradox “makes the future look intriguing” –
- The death of the cool: fan-fiction futurism –
- The World of the Future – Future concept art
- Ta-Ta, London. Hello, Awesome. – NYTimes.com – indec: http://t.co/jmccDjWziq My response to the opening paragraph was a mental "sorry". Followed by another mental "sorry" for saying sorry.
- Salman Rushdie: living in hiding felt like comedy routine at times | Books | The Guardian – Before the publication of his acclaimed novel Midnight's Children, Rushdie worked as an advertising copywriter. "I invented this campaign for Aero chocolate bars," he recalled.
"With bubble words: adorabubble, irresistibubble, delectabubble. Bus signs that said transportabubble. Shop signs that said availabubble. Trade ads that said profitabubble. I invented it because the guy I was working with had a stammer. We were sitting in a room trying to think of an idea and said, 'It's fucking impossibubble.' It was my one genuine lightbulb moment."