Bookmarks for July 10th from 13:58 to 23:15
This is an auto-posted collection of public links I’ve either posted to, or favourites from Twitter, my Instapaper bookmarks and my public links posted to Pinboard.in for July 10th from 13:58 to 23:15:
- Google’s Motorola Unit to Spend Up to $500 Million Marketing ‘Moto X’ Phone – WSJ.com – Holy crap
- Reebok’s Checklight indicator warns athletes of dangerous head trauma, now on sale for $149.99 | The Verge –
- Some Concept Art From Neill Blomkamp’s ELYSIUM!! – Ain’t It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news. – This concept art is ultimately unsatisfying. I demand more rings.
- Largest building in the world opens in China – complete with indoor seaside | Art and design | The Guardian – I still haven't managed to find any photographs of the artificial sun – mainly because the way it's been described is the closest thing to what feels like an arkship's sunline.
- Glass, Home and solipsism — Benedict Evans – "In much the same way, no-one on the Facebook Home team seems to have realised that most people's news feed isn't full of perfectly composed photos of attractive friends on the beach." – I don't think it was ever really about that. Sure, that's one way that Home was shown. But the problem that Facebook solved for you was the network of communication with your "friends", never mind how attractive they were or how well they were photographed.
The point about having the empathy to imagine the relationship – such as there is one – from your "user"'s point of view as opposed to your own is entirely valid though.