Bookmarks for May 16th from 12:20 to 22:48
This is an auto-posted collection of public links I’ve either posted to, or favourites from Twitter, and my public links posted to Pinboard.in for May 16th from 12:20 to 22:48:
- Letters of Note: Love, Dad – Beautiful.
- DAE notice that when Tony Stark mentioned shawarma in The Avengers… : movies – Yeah, I remembered to look out for this third time round. Tony Stark is awesome.
- Top10 gamification executions | Marketing magazine – It's things like this that make my job difficult.
- Disaster Expert: Fictional ‘Avengers’ Mayhem More Expensive than Real-Life Tragedies – ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews – "The costs of the Chitauri invasion of New York are approximately $60-70 billion in physical damage and another $90 billion in estimated losses of services, businesses and overall cleanup. For a comparison, Kinetic's report said the financial costs of the 9/11 attacks came to $83 billion, the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami came to $122 Billion, and Hurricane Katrina came to over $90 Billion."
Also: I'm pretty sure that, depending on how good a clean-up job SHIELD did after the events of Thor in the current Marvel film universe, most law firms would be having a field day renegotiating act-of-god and force majeure clauses.
- New and improved bubble display prints letters with air and water | The Verge – Make everything a display.
- Gamasutra – News – Digital games should be more like networks than products, says EA’s Segerstrale – "If everything goes to plan, Segerstrale believes that EA's numerous connected games will capture players' attention whether they're using their console, their mobile device, or their favorite social network." Can I just say HOW DUMB it is to in effect make me feel like I've been forced to play ME3 multiplayer and Infiltrator just to get a better war readiness rating so I have a chance at the "good ending"? Ham-fisted forcing of engagement, no thanks.
- Gamasutra – News – In-depth: Is it time for a text game revival? – I think we're missing a trick here. There's something that Andy and Cooper's playfic gets close to, but let's put it this way: the web/net hasn't disrupted interactive fiction yet.
- Nike Materials Index Hackathon at 1227 NW Davis St, Portland, Oregon – Nike on Plancast – @hondanhon: We're hosting a Nike Sustainable Materials hackathon this weekend at W+K and Pie. Come along! http://t.co/OzLemT4L