Bookmarks for May 1st through May 2nd
This is an auto-posted collection of my public links on Pinboard.in for May 1st from 17:47 to 00:40:
- Kate Aronowitz, Facebook’s Design Director, On Crafting A Design-Led Organization | Co.Design: business + innovation + design – These are the designers who Facebook are hiring: "[…] designers who are "builders." They’re people, Aronowitz explains, who already have a product mindset. They’re not people who only design icons or only produce wireframes. Instead, they tend to be people who’ve already built their own apps or digital services, end-to-end. They’ve been through the process of figuring out what resonates with customers and doubling-down on that, rather than just handling discrete parts of interfaces with little understanding of the bigger picture."
Million dollar question: why would a designer/builder, with a sense of what resonates with an audience, want to work at an agency instead of a place like Facebook?
- Double Fine chooses Moai | Blog – Interesting, Double Fine Adventure will be developed with Moai, a free open-source game engine based on Lua:
- App Store – The 7th Guest – Genuine piece of gaming history – Trilobyte Games' The 7th Guest is free on the Mac App Store and iTunes store today –
- “My cousin Helen, who is in her 90s now, was in… – Fresser. – “Because giving people stories is not a luxury. It’s actually one of the things that you live and die for.”
- How Netflix’s Content Strategy Works, Even When It Doesn’t « Snarkmarket – Tim Carmody's commentary on Netflix's content strategy contains this gem: "Cost per viewing hour" that they take into account when assessing content buys, whether licensing or commissioning original content. Especially timely and relevant given Hulu's recently reported douchy move of tying access to whether or not you have a cable/pay-tv subscription.
- BBC – BBC Internet Blog: The Space: Building a Broadcaster in a Box – @benoonbenoon @infovore In fairness, this seems much more than a portal: